A doula is a woman trained and experienced at providing physical, emotional and informational support to the mother and her partner before, during and after birth. It is the doula’s role to stay with the mother during her labour and to facilitate communication between the woman, her partner and her care providers (midwives or obstetricians). A doula also provides comfort measures during labour, and aids the woman’s partner in participating at his/her comfort level.
Yes there is research on the outcomes of births attended by a doula! Having a doula attend your birth:
• results in a shorter labour with fewer complications
• reduces negative feelings about the experience
• reduces the need for forceps, vacuum extraction and cesareans
• reduces the need for medical induction, drugs and epidurals
• increases the success rate of breastfeeding
• improves healing both physically and mentally after labour
As a naturopathic doctor and birth doula I accompany woman in labour to ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience. I draw on both my naturopathic education and my doula training to provide the best possible care to the mother. Herbs, massage, homeopathics, breathing techniques and acupuncture may be used at your request. My job is to help you achieve your dream birth whether it be water birth, drug free birth, hospital birth, home birth or a medicated birth.
My birth doula services include:
• 1 prenatal visit during which we will discuss your pregnancy, your birth plan, your fears, your questions and your concerns. We will also discuss labour and the post partum preparation.
• Phone and email support during your prenatal and postnatal period.
• 24/7 on-call support two weeks prior to your due date until baby is born.
• Continuous emotional and physical support for the duration of your labour, whether it be at home or at the hospital.
• Use of homeopathy, acupuncture, herbs, massage, aromatherapy, TENS, breathing techniques, comfort measures and positioning during your labour.
• Post-partum support for 1-2 hours post labour.
• 1-2 postpartum visits in your home or at the hospital in the days following your birth.
• Lactation consultation.
• My knowledge and expertise from 8 years of post secondary schooling and training as a naturopathic doctor.
Fees: $400. My fees are also covered under extended health insurance plans.